Ensuring All Children Have Access to Cutting-Edge Transition Services
As a school district, finding the perfect placement for a child can be difficult. Every child has a unique set of needs and making sure those needs are met is our job. At the Connecticut Transition Academy at Deep River, we focus on cultivating independence. Not only do we provide high-quality, personalized education for our students, we also focus on developing the behavioral and transition skills necessary for our students to thrive. Our services encompass the developmental, emotional and academic needs of students ages 6-21. If you believe that a student would be best served through an out-of-district placement at the Connecticut Transition Academy at Deep River, please follow the steps laid out below to initiate the application process.
Out of District Placement Process
- Initial Meeting: The student’s IEP team and parents meet to determine if the current placement is able to meet all of the student’s needs and provide all of the services the student is entitled to.
- Out-of-District Referral: If the IEP team determines that they are not able to meet these needs within the district, a referral packet is filled out and sent to possible placements that would be able to better provide education and transition skills to the student.
- Referral Packet Review: The packet is received and reviewed by placement staff.
- Tour & Interview: At this point, if the Connecticut Transition Academy at Deep River believes the student is a good candidate for our programs, the student and parents/guardian will be invited to the campus for a tour and informal interview.
- Meeting with District: If the parents/guardian decide that the academy can provide the high-quality education and transition skills their child needs to thrive, they will contact the district with their decision.
- Schedule PPT Meeting:The final step is to schedule a PPT meeting at the Connecticut Transition Academy to revise the student’s Individual Education Plan. This meeting will include the district representative, parents/guardian, and members of the academy team.
If you are considering an out-of-district placement for your student, please fill out the form below to gain access to our referral packet. The packet will provide us with vital information when determining the best program and placement for the student.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. Your information will not be shared with any third party and will be kept confidential.